Papers in peer-reviewed journals and collections of papers
- Bayer, Josef. 2018. Criterial freezing in the syntax of particles. In J. Hartmann, M. Jäger, A. Kehl, A. Konietzko, and S. Winkler, eds., Freezing: Theoretical approaches and empirical domains, pages 225-263. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. [draft]
- Bayer, Josef. 2017. Clitic denn and wh-movement. In C. Mayr and E. Williams, eds., Festschrift für Martin Prinzhorn, pages 1-11. Wien: Wiener Linguistische Gazette. [pdf]
- Bayer, Josef and Lisa Lai-Shen Cheng. 2017. Wh-in-situ. In M. Everaert and H.C. van Riemsdijk, eds., The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Syntax. DOI: 10.1002/9781118358733.wbsyncom106 [draft]
- Bayer, Josef. In press. Why doubling discourse particles? In L. Franco and P. Lorusso, eds., Linguistic Variation: Structure and Interpretation, Contributions in Honor of M. Rita Manzini. Berlin: De Gruyter. [draft]
- Bayer, Josef, Jana Häussler and Markus Bader. 2016. A new diagnostic for cyclic wh-movement: Discourse particles in German questions. Linguistic Inquiry 47(4):591-629. [link]
- Beltrama, Andrea. 2018. Metalinguistic just and simply: exploring emphatic exclusives. In S. Maspong, B. Stefánsdóttir, K. Blake and F. Davis, eds., Proceedings of Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 28. pp. 307–324. LSA Publications. [link]
- Beltrama, Andrea and Emily Hanink. 2018. Marking imprecision, expressing surprise. Like between hedging and mirativity. Journal of Linguistics. Online first, DOI:10.1017/S0022226718000270. [link]
- Czypionka, Anna, Maribel Romero, and Josef Bayer. 2021. Question-sensitive discourse particles at the interfaces of syntax, semantics and pragmatics: an experimental approach. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics 6, no. 1 (2021). link
- Czypionka, Anna, Felix Golcher, Joana Blaszczak, and Carsten Eulitz. 2018. When verbs have bugs: Lexical and syntactic processing costs of split particle verbs in sentence comprehension. [draft]
- Dörre, Laura, Anna Czypionka, Andreas Trotzke, and Josef Bayer. 2018. The processing of German modal particles and their counterparts. Linguistische Berichte 255:58. [link]
- Eckardt, Regine, and Andrea Beltrama. 2019. Evidentials and questions. In C. Piñón, ed., Empirical Issues in Syntax and Semantics 12. pp. 121-55. Paris: CNRS. [link]
- Trotzke, Andreas and Anna Czypionka. The pragmatics of surprise-disapproval questions: An empirical study. accepted for publication in Linguistic Vanguard (special collection).
- Djärv, Kajsa and Maribel Romero. 2021. (Non-)factive islands from (non-)necessary triviality. In J. Rhyne, K. Lamp, N. Dreier, and C. Kwon , eds., Proceedings of Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 30. pp. 184-200. LSA Publications. [link]
- Bayer, Josef and Volker Struckmeier. 2017. Discourse Particles. Formal Approaches to their Syntax and Semantics. Berlin: DeGruyter.
Peer-reviewed conference talks
- Djärv, Kajsa. 2020. Factivity and the Syntax of Embedded Context Updates. The 43rd Generative Linguistics in the Old World (GLOW43) conference. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany, April 8-20. https://glowlinguistics.org/43/programme/, https://osf.io/r3p89/
- Djärv, Kajsa. 2020. Factive and Assertive Attitude Reports: challenges from the interface. The 38th Meeting of the West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 38), UBC, Vancouver, Canada, March 8.
- Czypionka, Anna, Mariya Kharaman, Josef Bayer, Maribel Romero and Carsten Eulitz. 2020. Licensing question-sensitive discourse particles: Evidence from grammaticality judgments, selfpaced reading and EEG studies. Conference Linguistic Evidence 2020, Tübingen, Germany, February 13-15.
- Czypionka, Anna and Josef Bayer. 2019. Licensing and Locality in German wh-questions with discourse particles. Workshop Doing experiments with theoretical linguistics, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, April 4.
- Bayer, Josef. 2018. Discourse Particles ex situ in Emphatic Wh-Questions. Workshop “The Grammar and Pragmatics of Interrogatives and their (Special) Uses” at GLOW 41, Budapest, Hungary, April 14. [abstract]
- Bayer, Josef and Uwe Braun. 2016. German Discourse Particles in Sentential Infinitives. 31st Comparative Germanic Syntax Workshop, University of Stellenbosch, Republic of South Africa, November 1‚Äì3.
Peer-reviewed poster presentations
- Czypionka, Anna, Josef Bayer, Maribel Romero & Carsten Eulitz. 2017. The licensing of discourse particles in complex questions: Evidence from graded judgments and event-related potentials. 30th Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing, MIT, Cambridge, MA, March 30 – April 1. [poster]
- Kajsa Djärv. 2021. Embedded main clause phenomena: new perspectives on embedded illocutionary acts. Invited talk at the University of Stuttgart, Research Colloquium, May 11, 2021.
- Kajsa Djärv. 2021. Embedded main clause phenomena: new perspectives on embedded illocutionary acts. Invited talk at the MECORE kickoff workshop: Approaches to the semantics of clause-embedding predicates: theories, cross-linguistic data, and experimentation. University of Edinburgh, Oct 21, 2021.
- Kajsa Djärv. 2021. Embedded main clause phenomena: new perspectives on embedded illocutionary acts. Invited talk at the Grand Grammar Research Colloquium (Gothenburg, Lund, Stockholm, and Uppsala), Oct 14, 2021.
- Romero, Maribel. 2017. Composing Not-at-Issue Meaning: German Discourse Particles in Questions. Invited talk at the Workshop “Compositionality at the Interfaces” at GLOW (Generative Linguistics in the Old World) 40. Leiden, Netherlands, March 14-18.
- Romero, M. 2017.German discourse particles in questions. Invited talk at the workshop Inquisitiveness Below and Beyond the Sentence Boundary. University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, December 18-19. [handout]
- Djärv, Kajsa and Maribel Romero. 2021. (Non-)factive (non-)islands and meaning-based approaches. Proceedings of the 31th meeting of Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT 31).
- Djärv, Kajsa. 2020. Factivity, Assertion, and Clausal Definiteness. In Rachel Soo, Daniel Reisinger, and Katie Martin (eds.) Proceedings of the 38th Meeting of the West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL 38).
- Bayer, Josef. 2018. A comparative note on the Bangla particle to and the German particle doch. In: Festschrift for Angelika Kratzer. [link]
- Bayer, Josef and Hans Broekhuis. 2018. Sluicing and gapping: elipsis or selective spell-out? available on LingBuzz. [link]
Project Related Theses
- Dörre, Laura. 2018. Primary and Secondary Meaning in the Processing of German Particles. Doctoral dissertation.
- Föhl, Antonia. 2017. How does “wohl” behave? BA thesis, University of Konstanz. (Supervisors: Maribel Romero, Maria Biezma)
- Fortmann, Jette. 2017. Modalpartikeln in Nebensätzen. BA thesis, University of Konstanz. (Supervisors: Maribel Romero, Sven Lauer)